We have been all over the place (as usual) so when we had a night at home last night I begged Blake to come with me to get a Christmas tree. It was our first real tree together, and it turned out to be pretty funny realizing how different our childhoods were in that respect. I remember going with my family every year right after Thanksgiving to pick out a tree at a Christmas tree lot. Blake seemed very new to the whole process, so finally I asked him if he had ever gone to get a tree. He said, “No, I don’t know, I just remember the tree being there one day.” We laughed about how different our ideas were of getting a tree. Blake said he’s not sure if he supports the waste of trees like that. I told him we can do some research this year and if he really wants a fake tree next year that will be ok with me ;).
But for this year, it was pretty fun going through the process with Blake. We picked a 7 ft Noble Fir, and then he loved watching them trim it down and put it through the netting. I love every inch of those 7 feet!!! We tied it on top of our little car and blasted Christmas music the whole way home, where I’m hoping to decorate it before we have to leave to Colorado later today! At least the house is smelling like Christmas!
We also laughed because only in California (and Blake pointed out maybe Florida) can you get a Christmas tree in weather that doesn’t require pants! I love this shirt dress from Gentle Fawn, and have been wearing this hat from Hidden Jewel a LOT lately :).
Another one of my favorite ways to get in the Christmas spirit is to watch my favorite Christmas movies. If you haven’t already gathered, I’m a pretty nostalgic person, so I love watching the classics. Below are a few of my favorites, as well as where you can find them!
Available to Rent/Buy on iTunes
- Home Alone
- Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
- A Christmas Story
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey version) How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Classic cartoon version)
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- The Muppet Christmas Carol
- The Santa Clause (remember this one with Tim Allen?! 2 and 3 are also on iTunes ;))
- Christmas with the Kranks
- Jingle All the Way
- Miracle on 34th Street (from 1947) or Miracle on 34th Street (from 1994)
- The Holiday
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
Streaming on Netflix
- A Christmas Carol
- White Christmas
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Love Actually
- While You Were Sleeping
- I’ll Be Home For Christmas (for the ladies my age who appreciate some JTT!)
- A Very Murray Christmas (debuts on the 4th, I can’t wait to see this!)
Streaming on Hulu
- Hulu has actually gathered a bunch of current and past holiday episodes of our favorite shows in one place and I love it! Seinfeld, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development, Brady Bunch, Mary Tyler Moore, the list goes on and on!
- Reality show holiday specials
- Holiday Scenics to use on your TV as background for parties and get-togethers 😉 (I love the Christmas Fireplace!)
Merry, merry Christmas!