We all know that there is a lot of STUFF involved in having a baby. I did a LOT of research while I was pregnant on what stuff I wanted to invest in. Since I was having twins and knew we wouldn’t have help, I really wanted to find the things that were going to make life easier. We have used a few big-ticket items that are definitely not cheap, and people ask me all the time if they’re worth the price. So I wanted to post about the things that YES I truly love and YES they’re worth the splurge. I’m not saying you have to spend this much money, or that it’s the only way, but having these things has truly helped me.
There are also a lot of silly things you don’t need when you have a baby, so I hope this list helps you concentrate your efforts (dollars). Also, don’t shy away from putting big things on your registry, because sometimes people will want a big gift to go in on. And it’s always better to get something big that you’ll really use than a ton of little things that you won’t ;).
Worth the Splurge
- The SNOO. Yes it’s worth it. I promise. You can read more about how I feel about the SNOO here, but since that post went up I will tell you that we have recommended the SNOO to several friends that have had babies. Every single one of them comes back raving about it – telling us how much they love it and how much sleep it’s given them. And here’s some good news – SNOO is giving Palms to Pines readers 30% off until September 2nd with the code Jen30. So now is the time to get it! 😉
- The Bugaboo Donkey2. We debated over strollers a lot, and I am SO glad we landed on the Bugaboo Donkey2. Now that I have had the babies for a while and have tried other strollers, this is still my number one. It’s SO easy – easy to assemble, easy to push and maneuver, and easy to change configurations and fold down. And when you have twins, you want easy! You can read more about why I love the stroller here, and why Blake loves it (along with some FAQ) here.
- Car Seat System. There are many good ones out there, but my advice to you is to invest in a good car seat system. By that I mean infant car seats (and yes, it’s worth it to have infant car seats instead of a convertible carseat. It’s worth it to be able to carry your baby (or babies) to and from the car in their seat, and to be able to easier clip them into car seat bases in the car or into your stroller. We chose the Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 (actually part of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale right now!) for our car seats, and I love them. They are super lightweight and super nice – you can read more about how they integrate with our Bugaboo Donkey2 here.
- Our Sleep Trainer. I can’t speak for all sleep trainers, but our’s has been so so helpful. We’ve been working with Melissa Brown of Sleep Shop since the girls were 6 months (4 months old adjusted) and I’m constantly amazed how she helps us through each new stage with the girls. Every time someone has asked me if she’s really worth it I say yes, and everyone that has taken my advice comes back and thanks me. They’ll say things like, “My 10-month old baby slept through the night for the first time ever” or “She is seriously magic.” 😉 You can find her info here!
- Baby Brezza Formula Pro. Think Keurig but for babies! This wasn’t helpful when I was breastfeeding/pumping, but now that we’ve made the switch to formula it’s a game changer. Basically, it has a tank for formula and a tank for water, and you literally push a button and it brews a perfectly blended bottle at just the right temperature. It can hold enough formula/water to make 20 bottles before you have to refill it. We can make bottles SO much faster now – two bottles in seconds! And I swear the girls like them better because they don’t have clumps. Check it out here.
- Parasol Diaper/Wipe Subscription. I’ve talked about Parasol Diapers and Wipes before, so you can read more here. But to sum it up, we never run out of diapers, never have to run to the store to buy them. We’ve had hardly any blowouts, leaks, or diaper rashes. I definitely think that all the extra diapers, laundry, and hassle these save are worth the subscription fee.
I hope that helps! Please let me know in the comments or via email if you have any specific questions I didn’t answer.